Friday, April 8, 2011

Rust Hunting in Georgia - April 4, 2011

On my way to the local Home Depot I saw a sign for a Moving Sale - stopped by and the older gentleman, who was a retired electrician had a few bits and parts for sale in mixed boxes scattered about the driveway, as well as the furniture inside his home. I spotted a couple of things including two rusty Union marked chisels (one with a handle, the other without), a Proto Tools "Challenger" 9/16" wrench, a small brass wire brush, a 20A orange receptacle and a handful of replacement cord ends (male and female) in both 120V and 220V. I got the small pile for $2.



I hit each chisel with a wire brush for a couple of minutes - there's some pitting but  these will make fine user tools - I've already added a handle (that fit the first try) to the mortise chisel.


I'm not sure if you can see the marks clearly, but Union is full marked on the paring chisel and half marked on the mortise chisel. As Union supplied many electrical tools I'm guessing the guy bought them as part of a set at some point for a job or something. He had some other chisels but they were well used and not much worth saving.


I worked around the house and at our rental property over the weekend so I wasn't able to hit any other sales - I did score pretty well during the week so I think things balance out nicely in any case.

-- John

No comments: