Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rust Hunting in Georgia 2011.11.06

I hit the aftermath of a huge tool sale - sounds like the guy just picked up everything he could find and then left it to his widow to deal with (hopefully the same won't happen to me!). In any case, the sale started on Thursday so by the time I hit it Saturday morning, most of the better items were gone. Being the consummate bottom-feeder I still managed to find a few items - I spent a little over $30 for everything (it was discounted being the last day, plus I got some off for buying so much). Many of these items were marked $1 with I think $3 being the top price I paid (less discount).


First up a saw jointer, some new Stihl chainsaw blade files and a holder for same.


Next are some of my favorite "vixen" cut files:


And then some later Buck Chisels (they look crappy but I cleaned one up - stained but not pitted), a tiny press, brick chisel and a tap handle:



Here's a group of handled tools, an awl, dental pic, flat-blades for a brace, Marples driver, putty knife, some sharpening stones and a couple of utility knives (sucker for those - seems you can never find one when you need one):


A whole slew of replacement hammer handles, mostly in hickory or ash:


4 small cross-pein or ball-pein hammers (red-handled one marked Plumb):


A bunch of micro-Pony clamps:


A Starrett Horizontal Gage Holding Rod in box and a Starrett 6" rule with cover (incidentally, someone stole an expensive micrometer from the sale):


Here's a close-up of the saw jointer - marked Disston:


And that tiny press (like to call it an arbor press but I think it's for pressing circuit pins - in any case too "cute" to pass up):


The tap handle is marked "Morse" and "Made in USA"


And here are some detail shots:




Guess that about wraps it up - there were still a lot of tools at the sale - mostly junk or stuff I already had a lot of - One very decent Stanley #12 scraper with rosewood handles for $20 (decent deal) but it was missing the scraper blade.

-- John

No comments: